This exciting position will work in a team within Life Sciences Technology developing and delivering key components to the platform. The role is to lead a cross-matrix development team of typically 3-12 resources, who may be a mixture of developers, BA, UX, and QA. The role will also include being line manager for up to 4 developers initially. The team is taking on ambitious projects to replace established products by developing new components and products using the latest technologies and paradigms. We already have ambitious goals and passionate people, now we are looking for someone who is passionate about software development and related technologies to help us achieve our goals.
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR SOMEONE WHO WILL
- take ownership of a development team providing clear visibility of project status to stakeholders
- have proven experience in designing and maintaining enterprise web applications
- be a strong communicator who can establish strong relationships with our global teams
- have the ability to determine the best agile methodology to suit the team/project
- offer innovative ways to improve applications and processes for customers spread globally
- drive recruitment to strengthen the team with the ability for spotting talent
- have a solid development background and be comfortable in technical discussions
- line manage our passionate developers, getting the best out of them, mentoring their personal development, providing technical guidance and reviewing their code to make suggestions for improvements
- be a role model for everything the team does
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES
Must have experience in...
- 8+ years development background, including 3+ years Python and 2+ years in Django
- Agile/Lean methodologies (3+ years)
- Continuous Integration/Delivery practices with Python
- A strong believer in automated testing, with experience in with TDD/BDD processes
- other key project technologies: XML/JSON, REST, Postgres, data modeling & versioning
Ideally also have experience in
Cloud computing, e.g. AWS, notably: S3, EC2, containers, RDS, messaging (e.g. SQS, SNS).
- Angular.io, or other contemporary client-side technologies
- Building micro-service applications
- Knowledge of the other technologies in our stack: Java, Spring, Elasticsearch, Apache Kafka, Git, Oracle, Postgres, ActiveMQ.
- Building text-mining or machine-learning content processing pipelines.
- Previous education or experience in biochemistry, pharmacology, bio/cheminformatics or similar would be a bonus.